Study permit


Before applying to enter Canada as a student, applicants need to ensure they have a valid study permit [study permit FAQ] and will be attending a designated learning institute [FAQ]. Family members accompanying the student cannot travel to Canada prior to the student. DLIs are schools approved by a provincial or territorial government to host international students. Please note that all primary and secondary schools are DLIs. Students need to attend a DLI with an approved COVID-19 readiness plan [FAQ]. This does not permit the holder to do off-campus work in Canada. The student can apply to change their conditions once they have completed their language program and are enrolled at a DLI.

Study Permit Requirements: ISP International Student Program

Several documents are required for obtaining your study permit. An acceptance letter is required from the selected school.

Applicants may receive conditional acceptance. This means that prerequisite courses are needed to be taken. These may include English or French courses (ESL/FSL) which must be completed prior to the start of the main study program.

In this case, a study permit will be issued for the length of the prerequisite courses plus 1 year. Upon being admitted to the main program, a new study permit application is required to extend the stay as a student.

Proof of identity is required for the student and every family member accompanying them.

A valid passport or travel document and 2 recent passport-size photos Provide proof of financial support.

Be able to financially support themselves and their family members during their study period as well as tuitions, transportation.

Letter of explanation explaining why they want to study in Canada.

Certificat d’acceptation du Québec (CAQ) if they want to study in Quebec.

Pass the IRCC medical examination.

How to apply:

Completed forms and fees can be submitted to IRCC online or on paper by mail.

Processing time:

For a specific processing time, please visit the IRCC website


$150 for the Study permit
$85 biometric processing fee


Students can apply for working on- and off-campus. Students may work on-campus without a work permit. Students with a Social Insurance Number (SIN) may work off-campus up to 20 hours per week during academic sessions and full time during scheduled breaks.

The Post-Graduation Work Permit allows students who have completed their post-secondary studies to seek work for a specific period of time.

Graduates from inside Canada can apply for the Post-Graduation Work Permit up to 180 days after getting their degree/diploma, transcript, or official letter from their school. If the study permit expires before receiving a mark, they can either apply for a visitor record to stay longer or leave Canada and apply for a PGWP. Not all DLIs make students eligible for the (PGWP). A visitor record is a document which allows a visitor to stay longer

To apply for the PGWP from outside Canada, applicants need to be approved for a study permit. People entering Canada require a temporary resident visa (TRV) or an electronic travel authorization (eTA). The eTA is valid for 5 years from the date of the issuance or until the passport expires.

Expired study permit:

If the study permit expires before applying, applicants have up to 90 days to apply for the PGWP AND restore the student status. If applicants do not apply after the 90 days, they must leave Canada.


$255 ($155 PGWP, $100 Open Work Permit Holder)
$350 (restoration fee for expired study permits) *
* Both fees apply to applicants with expired study permits.

Student Direct Stream:

The Student Direct Stream (SDS) is an expedited processing program for the study permit.


To be eligible for SDS processing, the applicant must be a legal resident, living in: Antigua and Barbuda, Brazil, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, India, Morocco, Pakistan, Peru, Philippines, Senegal, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, or Vietnam. The applicant also needs proof of a valid language test result completed within 2 years of the date the application was received.

An International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score of 6 or higher in each section or a Test d’Evaluation de Français (TEF) score equivalent to a Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) score of 7 for each section is required.

Proof of a Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) of $10,000 CAD or more from any bank insured by the Canadian Deposit Insurance Corporation (CDIC). Proof of full payment of tuition for the applicant’s first year of study.

Letter of acceptance from a post-secondary DLI, the most recent secondary or post-secondary educational transcript, and proof of completion of upfront medical examination from a panel physician for applicants.

The following documents are also required if applicable

Application for Study Permit Made Outside Canada [IMM 1294] (overseas)
Family Information [IMM 5645]
Schedule 1 – Application for a Temporary Resident Visa [IMM 5257]
Marriage license or certificate or Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union form [IMM 5409]
Use of a Representative [IMM 5476]
Quebec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) for Quebec applicants
Application processing fee payment and biometric processing fee payment
Proof of identity, photocopy of the information and biographic data page of the applicant’s passport
Any additional documents specified by the visa office instructions for the applicant’s region

COVID-19 readiness plan [FAQ].

This plan is in effect to ensure the health and safety of everyone. A 14-day quarantine plan is necessary regardless of being fully vaccinated. The final decision regarding the 14-day quarantine will be made upon arriving in Canada. Attempting to travel to Canada for a DLI not on the readiness plan may result in being denied boarding the flight or being turned away when applicable.